Thursday, June 25, 2009

Free Fallin

It has been quite a few weeks. I'm in one of those places in life where things are going warp speed everywhere except for where I am. Needless to say, I've entered into massive amounts of prayer for massive amounts of time. It's to the point that all I can say is, "Jesus...I'm out of words." And then I hope he gets me.

So...in search of...only God knows what, I've taken to reading once again. I've read passages of the Bible, passages of this book Captivating, and passages within Blue Like Jazz. I've read and read and read until maybe I have something to say to God when next He and I chat.

Until next time folks...here are some things I've highlighted from Blue Like Jazz. Whether or not they speak to you, I find them to be intriguing:

"She would talk to God as if she knew Him, as if she had talked to Him on the phone that day" (46).

"We would eat chocolates and smoke cigarettes and read the Bible, which is the only way to do it, if you ask me. Don, the Bible is so good with chocolate. I always thought the Bible was more of a salad thing, you know, but it isn't. It is a chocolate thing" (47).

"And a beggar's kingdom is better than a proud man's delusion" (86).

"Something got crossed in the wires, and I became the person I should be and not the person I am. It feels like I should go back and get the person I am and bring him here to the person I should be" (98).

"There is something beautiful about a billion stars held steady by a God who knows what He is doing. (They hang there, the stars, like notes on a page of music, free-form verse, silent mysteries swirling in the blue like jazz)"(100).

"I imagined Him looking down on this earth, half angry because His beloved mankind had cheated on Him, had committed adultery, and yet hopelessly in love with her, drunk with love for her" (100).

"My most recent faith struggle is not one of intellect. I don't really do that anymore. Sooner or later you just figure out there are some guys who don't believe in God and they can prove He doesn't exist, and some other guys who do believe in God and they can prove He does exist, and the argument stopped being about God a long time ago and now it's about who is smarter, and honestly I don't care" (103).

"It is always the simply things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things" (217).

No comments:

Post a Comment